- The client wants to publish a text or a whole project consisting of texts from English or French into German, asks me for a quote by e-mail or via the “Quote” form on my website. To do this, I need to look at a text sample and to know the total number of words, purpose and target group, and deadline.
- I take a careful look at the job requirements and if I am available and have the necessary expertise in the subject, I submit a quote plus VAT.
- Once the price and any other terms and conditions have been agreed, the client places a written order together with all applicable terms and conditions – and provides the text, of course.
- I start translating. I generally use SDL Trados Studio, a translation tool which separates the source text from the layout and, once the translation work has been completed, puts target text and layout back together. SDL Trados Studio also helps me find technical terms which I may have translated years ago and check the finished translation.
- I read and check my German translation thoroughly for grammar, spelling, etc., and then finish it off, i.e. I let SDL Trados generate the target file in the original layout.
- I look through the German target file and adapt the layout if necessary.
- I e-mail the target file (and my invoice) to the client and wait for their acknowledgement of receipt.
Now you know have a clearer idea of what the translation process entails. It is a highly demanding activity which, in most cases, requires me to combine all my linguistic and intellectual faculties to ensure that your message comes across to German ears exactly as you intend. Trust me. You will not be disappointed.
My prices vary depending on the type of service needed, the type of document, style, technical skills required, etc. If you’d like a quote, please send me a request stating:
- volume of text (number of words)
- type of text
- kind of work required (translating from … into… or copy-writing or proofreading or editing)
- stylistic level
- date and time of delivery
Please, also send me a text sample. I will get back to you with a quote as soon as possible. Thank you!